Recently when teaching a lesson on "Jesus is Born" I made these edible mangers for the class to enjoy. I found the idea for these in a book Becky had called "Creative Bible Learning -Science and Cooking" by. Karyn Henley. This is a very neat book. They were fairly easy to make and the kids really enjoyed them.
2 bags of butterscotch chips
1 can chow mein noodles
1 can cocktail peanuts (I omitted these due to a peanut allergy in our class..and I prefer them without peanuts anyway) I think the peanuts would make them harder to work with too!
1 bag small pretzel twist
1. Melt butterscotch chips in a saucepan
2. Stir in peanuts and chow mein noodles
3. Place spoonful of mixture on wax paper
4. Press with spoon (or fingers) into the center of the mixture to make it look like a manger
5. gently press a pretzel twist onto each end of the manger. (Do this before the mixture cools. The pretzels form the manger legs.)